Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Response to Life's Trials

The best part of the message is Job's response to his friends. I pray that we can all learn how to respond to life's challenges in the following ways.


1. You can have joy amidst suffering
Joy comes from your relationship with God. It is not temporary.
We are sorrowful - others see us as sorrowful but we are always rejoicing

1 Peter 4:13
Maybe God is producing more joy on the other side

People will think it strange that you can have joy when you are in the midst of suffering. People who do not know Christ of course will not understand. I have found that Christian brothers and sisters also do not always understand. Some will say you are in denial of what is happening. Some will walk away shaking their heads saying that one day the rose colored glasses will come off. They will say you are in for a huge crash when reality hits.

I can say for sure that God produces a joy beyond understanding. I don't understand it myself.
I can also say for sure that I am quite aware of what is happening around me and am very aware of the pain. I choose to rise above it. I am not always successful but I will keep looking up and moving forward. I can tell you that when I am worshiping God I am filled with joy. I choose to continue to worship all of the time.

2. Disappointment with his friends.
For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friends. Friends should give refreshment during sorrow.
When in doubt what to say ask - Are you looking for sympathy or solutions?

It would be better if you were quiet - just shut up

Most of the time I just don't know what to say to a friend who is in a trial or sorrow. Often I just keep quiet. I will pray for them and I will just be there. I know it's hard to know what to do when your friend is in pain. Please keep in mind that unless it's a contagious disease you won't catch what they are going through by being there. Loss of homes, possessions, jobs are not contagious. Loss of loved ones is not contagious. Cancer is not contagious. Even many diseases are not so easily caught that you cannot take precautions and visit.

It is superstition that death comes in threes. It is fear that keeps us away from those who have suffered loss.Unless they ask for solutions just give sympathy. Loneliness is often an added burden for those in suffering.

3. There is prayer though confused.
why is this happening to me?
ask God
make known to me my rebellion and sin
cry out to God
Job never said he never sinned...he wondered if the past sins are coming now?

This is a personal response. It is ok to question God. It is right to examine yourself. Cry out to God in the midst of  your trouble.



4. There is despair without an umpire
There is no one to do this in the old testament.

Jesus is our mediator/umpire.
He mediates for us. We do not need to despair.



5. Affirmation of God's attributes
Remember who God is when we are confused
He gives and takes away
When something has changed in our life we need to remember that God never changes

6. “Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15 NASB
 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead 1 Peter 1:3

There is nothing that will cause me to lose hope in Him. AMEN

7. Job had a realization of life's limitations. Our days are numbered here on earth.
Nothing you can do to change the days that are numbered for you.
Man dies once.
brevity of life - just a vapor
Life is filled with turmoil.

This is the reality of life. We have ups and downs. It's just life. But we don't have to walk through life alone. We have a Savior who walks with us and will even carry us through the really hard parts. We have a mediator with God the Father who says "She's mine. She's perfect. The price has already been paid."

This is my hope and prayer for each one of you reading this today. Know who you are in Christ. Know that the price is already paid and you are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privilege

Note I wrote this years ago but am only now brave enough to post it. I have taken time to examine my own attitudes and to listen to people o...