Thursday, June 3, 2010

such a comfort

Isn't is a comfort to realize that God knows.

He knows what is best for me.

He knows ahead of time that I am going to mess it up.

He has already forgiven me.

I don't have to run around with guilt from things I have already repented.

When I feel guilt, I need to take time to examine myself. Is this residual guilt from a past sin that has been confessed? Am I continuing to sin in this way? Do I need help to stop or change direction away from this sin? Why do I continue to sin in this old way? If I have purposed to change in my heart have I asked God for help? If not...did I really want to change? If so...did I stumble and need picking up?
If this is not old stuff is it something new? Is God growing me? Has he gently tried to show me the error of my sin and I didn't listen? What do I do now?

I am a child of God. I do not need to live in guilt. I have been set free.

I cannot ignore my sin. I need to keep on going. I need help to pick me up sometimes and other times I need to just get up and move on.

I am not a feather floating around on the winds of the world. I am firmly rooted in the Word of God. I need not wallow in guilt nor beat myself up. We have all sinned. We all fall down.

Repentance is a change of direction. The further along that change of road the less often we fall down or stumble.

There are consequences of my sins here on earth. Apologize if I have wronged another. Give restitution if I have taken away something that was not mine to have. Move on and let it go. I am not perfect but in Christ I am made complete.

"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended, but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead." Phil. 3:13

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a true blessing that post was to read. Thank you for writing it, and God bless you and your dear family :)

    Love in Christ,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Privilege

Note I wrote this years ago but am only now brave enough to post it. I have taken time to examine my own attitudes and to listen to people o...