Friday, January 18, 2013

My prayer and hope in time of sorrow

I am sad today.

Our piano player from church who was also a very good friend passed away right before Thanksgiving. I miss him. I miss his music. I miss his laugh and ironic sense of humor. I miss his encouragement.

Just days later a friend lost her battle with cancer. She was well loved by everyone who knew her. The memorial service was packed on a weekday.

A sweet friend is going through a terrible tragedy. She lost her 3 year old granddaughter and her son-in-law is in critical condition. They were hit by a car while waiting at a bus stop. Her daughter was also there. I can't imagine the trauma of seeing this horrendous accident that took a child and almost took an husband.

These events have not only affected me. My daughters were all hit with them too. The last one has touched my grandson also.

These are the times when we need each other. These are the times when God draws us closer to both himself and to others.

It is ok to be sad. Ecclesiastes reminds us that there is a time to weep. We are to weep with those who weep. Jesus himself wept over the loss of a friend. This is a time of weeping.

The sun will shine again. We will not be sad forever.

We will suffer loss again. We do not know when but it will come again.

My prayer is that we learn to grieve and also rejoice.
All three are now sitting with Christ in heaven. It makes my heart glad to know that while their families are sad and grieve the loss of their loved ones they also have the assurance that they can see them again in heaven. 
This is of course if they also have given their lives to Christ. It is a free gift offered to all.
It can be an easy decision or it may be a struggle for power.
It is not easy to give up your own will for the will of God.
It is not always easy to trust in God.
It is not easy to be broken so Christ can make you new again in His image.

My prayer is that we make sure the people we love know about Christ.
We must be sure that they are offered His free gift.
We must live a life that others will want to know what we know, to have what we have.

My prayer is for those who are in the midst of grief right now.
May we be sensitive to their grief.
May we come along side of them and just sit with them.
May peace be brought to them in the midst of tragedy and sadness.

My prayer is for myself.
May I be able to empathize with others and be patient.
May I be able to be the hands and feet of my Lord and Savior to others in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privilege

Note I wrote this years ago but am only now brave enough to post it. I have taken time to examine my own attitudes and to listen to people o...