Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breastplate of Righteousness

"Stand therefore having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness."--- Ephesians 6:14


Why do I need to put on the Breastplate of Righteousness? If I have my shield of faith aren't I protected? People will think I'm self-righteous if I put this one on. Aren't Christians supposed to be humble?

I need righteousness to fight evil. It is not of my own self. Christ gives me his righteousness so that I am ready for the battle. When I accept and obey I am better equipped to battle in the spiritual realm. When I obey the commandments of God - To love God with all my heart, mind and soul and to love my neighbor as myself - I am better equipped to serve God on this earth.

To put this breastplate on does not mean that I have become sinless. To know that Christ is giving me his righteousness does not mean God turns a blind eye to my sin. It does not mean I can go my own way and continue in sin. God will gently chastise his children. When I wear the breastplate of righteousness I am open to God's chastisement and gentle leading. It is not self. It is Christ.

Righteousness is a goal we as Christians attempt to achieve. I think perhaps that we need to accept and put on righteousness every day.

Our responsibilities
To love God - that's the easy part
with all of my mind - that means to know Him, read His Word every day

with all of my heart - pray, communicate, allow Him to reach into the depths of my heart and allow myself to respond to Him from my heart

with all of my soul - this is when you find that you are obeying His commandments without rebellion, this is when you find that you thirst for His Word, this is when you realize that you communicate with Him continually

love my neighbor as myself - generally we all love ourselves, this is not wrong, we were made to care for ourselves. The key here is to love our neighbor the same as we love ourselves. Take that self-preservation and apply it to others. Put others first.

God loves us so much. He will take each of us right where we are and give us His righteousness to protect us in the battle.

The breastplate protects the heart. When we obey God's commandments the breastplate protects our hearts. How much more can we love God and our neighbors when our own hearts are protected? This is an amazing part of the armor. Don't forget to put it on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privilege

Note I wrote this years ago but am only now brave enough to post it. I have taken time to examine my own attitudes and to listen to people o...