Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Great Hatchling Release

Good Grief! It's just a computer game. It's supposed to just be a little time waster and fun.

Warning!!! Don't get hooked on Hatchlings! Especially if you have an imagination that won't stop and any compassion at all.

It's a game on facebook where you gather eggs. There are special eggs to collect. You can hatch many of the eggs. BUT YOU HAVE TO FEED THEM or they run away. It takes too much time.

I had to release over 50 hatchlings to fend for themselves in the wild today. I had to do it. I had no choice if I was going to live in reality. There are dishes to be washed, laundry to be done, floors to clean, gardens to plant and weed. I HAD to release them.

But first I had to feed them up so they wouldn't be hungry roaming around eating other hatchlings that have been released. I also couldn't not feed them and let them run away. That just seems to cruel.

Then I had to DECIDE WHICH ONES TO LET GO!

Now understand...I'm 48 years old. I'm not a child with an active imagination. I'm an adult with an active imagination. I decided fish would be able to survive... so out went most of the fish - not the Koi - they are too pretty. I had previously released all of the reptiles and dinosaurs and did not hatch any more of those creatures. Then I let the mouse/rat go - it's ok - he had a huge hunk of cheese with him.

Now I was really struggling. I have to keep the cats and anything Josh thinks is a cat ie. armidillo's, fox, etc... I also needed to keep the pretty owls with the Big Eyes, Josh loves those too. So I let all the other birds go. I reasoned that birds are like fish and they can survive on their own without much assistance. Now I had a LOT of birds so that really helped.

I left for several hours thinking I had released enough. . . . Not so! I came back and ALL of them were hungry again. So I let my bear go. This was really really difficult. I like bears. He was a real bear not just a cute little cuddly bear but a real black bear. Then I bit the bullet and allowed the bunny's from Easter go...and...the Easter duck...and...sob...the rubber ducky.

So you are probably wondering why I kept all of the dragons. Well, don't be surprised, I like dragons. They also might cause too much havoc in the virtual world of released hatchlings and I had to protect the others. Right?

Well I'm down to only around 40 to feed now. After the holiday I will allow Uncle Sam to go back to wherever he lived before but I will keep the bald eagle. I might have to consider allowing the horses to go after that. I did release a lot of goats and monkeys after I found out they were Chinese Year wind, earth, fire etc... Hmmm

Now you might want to consider the agony of these decisions I had to make today the next time you tell your child to clean his/her room. Especially when you tell them to go through their toys for the Salvation Army bag. I vividly remember the impossibilty of deciding which doll, animal etc... could survive without me to take care and love it when it was time to donate each year. Keep in mind that when a child is young it is even harder to separate fantasy and reality.

Of course I might be the very very rare one...

2 comments:

  1. Ok... I kept the rubber ducky. I just couldn't leave such a helpless creature out there on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ha ha
    I just try to hatch the amount I think I can find eggs for in one sitting.
    Such pains to decide. Lots of mine ran away before I realized if you don't feed them in a 24 hour period you lose lots. So now blue and green eggs maybe special ones. Oh I feed my friends hatchlings now too. So I will help you with yours so you don't have to make such hard decisions on who to let go

    ReplyDelete

Privilege

Note I wrote this years ago but am only now brave enough to post it. I have taken time to examine my own attitudes and to listen to people o...